Learn how to make whole wheat bread from scratch with the addition of nutritious chia seeds. 🍞
- 1 Packet Active Dry Yeast (1/4oz.)
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water 100°-110°F (360ml)
- 1 2/3 Cups Unbleached Bread Flour (200g)
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (152g)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (6g)
- 1/8 Cup Honey (30ml)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (15ml)
- Sprinkle packet of yeast over the warm water and stir until the yeast dissolves and water becomes a creamy color. Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together the bread flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. Stir in the honey and olive oil. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until well combined and dough begins to hold shape.
- Lightly dust a work surface with whole wheat flour and place dough onto it. Knead the dough for 5 to 8 minutes while gradually adding a little flour until it is only slightly sticky and can pull away from the surface easier. Form dough into a circular shape.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil. Place the dough into the bowl turning it over once to coat its surface with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap then with a towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and once again place it onto a work surface (lightly floured if necessary). Gradually sprinkle the chia seeds onto the dough while kneading to evenly distribute the seeds. Form dough into a longer loaf shape.
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Place dough into pan and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it rises above the surface of the pan by about 1 inch. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the bread stand inside the pan for 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
| Makes 1 loaf.