This week’s DIY project is something very easy and fun to make and perfect if you are on a budget, as I myself am right now. I put together this lovely centerpiece by using both natural materials and others that I easily found at home. I think this really made the centerpiece have a rustic feel to it. Plus, to me it’s always better to use what you can find in nature, like the pine cones and branches, instead of going out and buying artificial ones. However, if you would rather keep this centerpiece for a long time without it withering anywhere, then maybe artificial materials might work better for you.
You Will Need:
- 2 Pieces of Cardboard
- Burlap Ribbon 5.5x37in. (14x94cm)
- Large & Small Pines Cones
- Pine Branches
- 20-30 Dried Cranberries
- Candle Holder
- Tall Pillar Candle
- Glue Gun
- Trace and cutout a circle from the cardboard that is about 11 inches (28cm) in diameter. Repeat the process with the second piece of cardboard so that you have two circles of the same size. Stack and glue together the two cardboard circles. Let dry completely. (To make sure they are glued together correctly, place a heavy book on top to hold them in place.)
- Next, add glue to the edge of the circular base and attach the ribbon around it. There should be an excess of ribbon sticking out from the top and bottom of the base (2/3 at the top, 1/3 at the bottom). Starting at the bottom of the base, glue down the excess ribbon. Flip the base over and glue down the ribbon from the top side of the base. The top side of the circular base should be covered by burlap ribbon except for a small section at the center of it. In this section, trace another circle the size of your candle holder.
- Arrange the large pine cones around the base avoiding the circle you just traced. When you have a design you like, glue them down to the base. Then, glue the small pine cones between the large ones. Attach the pine branches around the edges of the centerpiece and between the pine cones, making sure to cover all spaces except for the center of the base. Then, add the cranberries, attaching them to various places around the centerpiece.
- Place the candle holder in the center section that was reserved and add the tall candle. (Do not glue these to the base.)
Tip: If you are using natural pine cones and branches make sure to wash and dry them thoroughly beforehand. You never know what creepy crawlies might be hiding in a pine cone.~ 🐜