This week we are making delicious and simple cookies with the fresh taste and aroma of oranges! These orange cookies are very easy to make and because of their simple and not-too-sweet taste, they go well with any beverage. So, if you are having a Spring get-together over tea, these cookies are perfect for adding to your menu!~
- 1 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 5 Tablespoons Vegetable Shortening
- 2/3 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- In a small bowl sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
Take one teaspoon of zest from an orange, then cut in half and squeeze out its juice, about 1/2 a cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and confectioner’s sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and mix only until combined. Add the orange zest, then gradually add the orange juice while beating at low speed. Mix until well combined. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out the cookies with a cookie cutter (2-3 inch). Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown. Let cool completely.
| Makes about 2 dozen cookies.