A great way to start off your day is with a frittata, especially if you are cooking for several people. It is quite easy to make and you can add any ingredients you might have on hand. For this recipe, for example, I used several vegetables that I had leftover and needed to finish up. Also, if you don’t have a cast iron skillet or pan that you can put directly into your oven, don’t worry, I don’t either. For a long time I put off making a frittata because I thought I absolutely needed to bake it in it’s frying pan like most people do it. At least so it can retain that classic frittata circular shape. However, I found that using any baking dish can do the job just as easily.~
This recipe in particular, I thought about making so that it is easy and convenient for everyone. It has simple ingredients that are easy to find or you can use any other veggies you currently have in your kitchen. Also, with this you can have breakfast done quickly for several people, or just for yourself for several days if you like to meal-prep.
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (15-30ml)
- 1 Medium Potato, Diced
- 1/2 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1/8 Cup Parsley, Chopped (7.5g)
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach (42.5g)
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese (112g) * I used cheddar and monterey jack cheeses
- Over medium to low heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the diced potato, cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the onion and cook 1 to 2 minutes until they start to become translucent. Add in the red bell pepper and stir together. Cook until vegetables soften. Stir in the parsley and baby spinach. Continue cooking only until the spinach wilts. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare an 8 by 11 inch (2 quarts) baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the dish and spread them out evenly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Stir in the shredded cheese. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables, making sure they are completely covered. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and golden at the top. Cut the frittata into 8 rectangles. Serve warm.
| Makes 8 servings.