One of the family dishes that has quickly become my comfort food is Calabacitas con Queso or Zucchini with Cheese. My grandmother used to make this for us when I was little and my Mom recently had the idea of cooking it for us again. I had never thought of it as a comfort food since it’s made with all vegetables. But now that the days have become rainy and chilly, I discovered just what a warm bowl of calabacitas can do.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (15ml)
- 4 Zucchini, Chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1/2 Large White Onion, Chopped
- 1 Medium Size Tomato, Chopped
- 15 Oz. Cooked Corn (Whole Kernel) (425g)
- 2 Cups Muenster Cheese, Shredded (224g)
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped zucchini, cover and cook stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and onion. Stir together until well combined and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato and corn, stir until combined. Cover and cook until the zucchini and tomatoes are soft.
- Turn off heat. Then stir in the shredded cheese, letting it melt.
| Makes about 6 servings.