Now that Spring is approaching, one of my favorite things to do is use fruit as much as I can when cooking. A very delicious way of doing this is by making jams and preserves. This recipe for blueberry jam is easy to make and is perfect for making small batches of jam.
- 2 Cups Blueberries (340g)
- 1/4 Cup Water (60ml)
- 1 Cup Sugar (190g)
- Place berries in a saucepan and mash most of them. Add water and heat over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally until berries are soft and crushed. Once the jam is cooking at a rolling boil, stir in the sugar. Lower heat to medium-low and continue cooking at a boil stirring constantly. Cook for 20 minutes or until the jam thickens and darkens in color.
- To test for doneness, place a bit of jam on a chilled plate and freeze for 5 minutes. Gently press the jam, it should wrinkle on top.
- Fill jars with jam and seal them.
| Makes about 10oz. of Blueberry Jam
How to Sterilize and Seal Jars:
- Place the lids of washed jars in hot water(not boiling). Place the jars in a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove jars and lids from water and place on a clean cloth to dry.
- Close the jars tightly with the lids once they have been filled with jam. Then place the filled jars into boiling water again. The water should cover them completely. Boil for 10 minutes.
*Sealed jars can be stored at room temperature. If opened or not sealed, jams should be stored in the refrigerator.