Trying out new ways in which to eat healthier foods is always fun for me. I cannot get tired of looking through Instagram pictures of beautiful dishes that are not only pleasing to the eye, but are a lot better for your belly. Not too long ago, I was trying out a few of these foods at home. It really stuck with me how much baked eggs have grown in popularity! I remember seeing baked eggs in avocado (which I still must try!) everywhere on my feed. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any avocados at home at the time, so I had to make do with what I had on hand. That being, tomatoes!
Baking eggs in tomatoes was a lot easier than I thought and a great addition to a healthier brunch menu. Not to mention, it allowed me to use ingredients that I had left over or needed to use. In the recipe below, for example, I am using oregano, basil, and parsley. But, you can honestly use whatever herbs you currently have at home and experiment with the different tastes.
- 4 Tomatoes (medium or large in size)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Basil, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Dries Parsley, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano, Divided
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cut a hole around the top center of each tomato. With a spoon, remove the seeds and pulp completely.
- Add a pinch of basil, parsley, and oregano inside the tomatoes. Crack each egg and add one to each tomato. Top with ground black pepper and more herbs.
- Place in a shallow baking dish or a lined baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes.